Web 3.0 for Newbies
This is a collection of links to help newcomers learn about Web
3.0, including key principles, technical information, and prominent
community members to follow on Twitter.
The term "Web 3.0" is
defined loosely here as anything that promotes decentralization of
information online. It could apply to blockchain, distributed
applications, semantic web markup, or many other things.
This collection will be curated and expanded over time, with input welcome from anyone who cares to contribute via GitHub. To suggest a new link to include or give other feedback, please leave a comment here.
Overviews & History
- What Exactly is Web3?:
Talk by Juan Benet, founder and CEO of Protocol Labs, at Web3 Summit
2018 in Berlin. Covers what Web3 is and how it is part of a larger
movement in which humanity is going from a pre-computing civilization to
a post-computing civilization.
- What the Heck is Web 3.0 Anyway?: Forbes article by Jutta Steiner, CEO of Parity Technologies. Published in October 2018.
- Fighting The Citadels That Own Our Data: How Web3 Empowers Us To Take Back Control: What the Heck is Web 3.0 Anyway?: Forbes article by Jutta Steiner, CEO of Parity Technologies. Published in April 2019.
- Blockchain Explained in 5 Levels of Difficulty:
Nice explainer by Bettina Warburg for Wired covering blockchain for
several people, from a five-year-old on up to a fellow expert.
- The next Web of open, linked data: 2009 TED talk by Sir Tim Berners-Lee about the importance of creating a new, semantic web of linked data.
- High-Quality Linked Data Generation: Talk by researcher Anastasia Dimou, delivered December 2017 at SWIB17 conference in Hamburg.
- Entrepreneurs See a Web Guided by Common Sense
(Paywall): New York Times story from November 2006 by reporter John
Markoff that uses the term "Web 3.0." Probably the earliest such
reference in the popular press.
- A brief release history of the web: Blog post by consultant Peter A. McKay briefly summarizing how the web evolved from v1.0 to v3.0.
- Building an On-Ramp to Web 3.0 in Brave Browser:
Talk by Ben Livshits, chief scientist at Brave Software, at Web 3
Summit 2018 in Berlin. Talk covers Ben's work on the Brave browser,
which seeks to create a new peer-to-peer economy for digital content.
Blockchain White Papers
Open Source Projects on GitHub
- Polkadot Wiki: Documentation for the Web 3 Foundation's multi-chain protocol.